Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spicy Black Bean Hummus

Dips, sauces, and all condiments are my friend (a tiny hug to all of you sitting in my fridge right now).  I love condiments, I always like when I can dip something, anything into a sauce. I just like how it can change the flavor of dull veggie sticks, plain fries, rice, bread, the list can go on and on. That's why I tend to make hummus a lot and all sorts of different kinds.

Back during Thanksgiving I had found a recipe for a black bean hummus with cilantro and lime that I couldn't pass up. To accompany the hummus I had baked some fresh semolina bread and the two combined together was magic :) warm baked bread with spicy black bean hummus spread on top was divine. I think I was full on bread and hummus before we even got to the main course.

I will say though the first time I made this recipe I used 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce and it was awesome.  Today I used jalapenos which were good, but I think I prefer the chipotle pepper in the adobo sauce mixed into the hummus.  Maybe you have a favorite pepper that you would like to add.





Spicy Black Bean Hummus
Adapted from David Bonom, Cooking Light


Ingredients
1/2 Cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 Tablespoons tahini (roasted sesame seed paste)
2 Tablespoons water
2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
about 1/4 cup sliced jalapenos (add a little at time to your liking, incase you prefer more mild or spicy)
This is what I used for the Hummus. you could always sub the water for some of the jalapeno juice for some more kick. 


Directions


Add all the ingredients expect the jalapenos into a food processor, mix until smooth.  Add your jalapenos in a little at a time and grind/chop the mixture. keep doing that until the heat is the way you like.

8 comments:

  1. This sounds so good! I just made roasted red pepper hummus tonight! :) I am going to have to try this next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that sounds great, roasted red pepper hummus is one of my go to recipes as well! let me know how you liked it with black beans. the taste differs with the beans but it a great way :)

      Delete
  2. Yumm this sounds delicious. I've been meaning to make regular hummus lately, but I think I'll make this first. Lime and cilantro are two of my favorite things! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. my favorite too! I hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, I have to try this, I make my hummus with Lima beans. My kids just love hummus.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stoping by. wow you got your kids to eat Lima beans impressive. I've never been a fan of lima beans but I think I will have to try a hummus version now especially if the kids eat it, it has to taste good :)

      Delete
  5. I've been obsessed with edamame hummus for the last few months. Love this rendition!
    xo The Tomato Snob

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love edamame, I always get boiled edamame at the sushi restaurant off base. I need to try it as a hummus soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...