Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Ultimate Cookies & Cream Cupcake


Starting on Thursday I like to take a poll at work and find out what kind of cupcake I should make on the weekend that I will eventually bring in on Monday to share with everyone.

Oreo's were the chosen ingredient this week.  I didn't want to make just a regular Oreo cupcake, if I was going to use Oreo's I wanted to go over the top.  I wanted Oreo in the batter, Oreo in the frosting and something Oreo stuffed in the middle of the cupcake.

On my lunch break at work I love to drool over food blogs, it's amazing how many are out there.  I found this awesome blog called Love From the Oven and she had the brillant idea of using Oreos mashed together with cream cheese and made into a truffel to place in the middle of the batter.
Now I had all my components for the ultimate cookies & cream cupcake :)

If you are an Oreo lover then this cupcake is for you!


The Ultimate Cookies & Cream Cupcake
For the cake portion Adapted From Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publications 2012

Bake Time: 19 Minutes
Yields: 30 Cupcakes

Ingredients 
3/4 Cup Butter 
3 Eggs
2 1/2 Cups Flour
2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 Cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 Cups Almond Milk
3/4 Cup crushed Oreos (using a food processor is the easiest way for me)

Oreo Truffel Filling

Ingredients
12 Oreo's 
2 oz Cream Cheese
* Use a food processor to grind up oreos and then combine by hand with the cream cheese until fully mixed and formed into a big ball. 

Directions
Let your eggs and butter sit at room temperature for at least 45 min. 
Preheat oven to 350 F and line a two cupcake tins with cupcake liners.
In a medium bowl mix your dry ingredients together flour, baking powder and salt and set aside. 
In a electric mixer on medium high beat the butter for 30 seconds and add your sugar until combined and looks light and fluffy about 2 min. Beat in your eggs one at a time until fully combined.  Alternately add you flour mixture and almond milk to the batter until just combined. Fold in the oreos with a spoon or spatula.
To fill your cupcake liners add a small scoop of batter into a liner and take a tablespoon of truffel from your oreo ball and roll it into a ball and place on top of the batter. Scoop in more batter until 3/4 full and bake for 19 Min. Let cool on a wire rack.

Oreo Butter Frosting
Adapted From Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publications 2012
Ingredients
1 Cup butter at room temp for at least 45 min. 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (clear if you want the frosting bright white)
8 Cups powdered sugar
1/4 Cups whipping cream 
2-3 Tablespoons extra whipping cream to help thin out the frosting
3/4 Cups crushed Oreo (using a food processor is the easiest way for me)

Directions
Using a electric mixer beat the butter on  medium high for 30 seconds. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and dash of salt.
Mix until combined.  Gradually add 4 cups powdered sugar until combined.  Add 1/4 cup whipping cream and 4 more cups of powdered sugar and beat until combined.  Add 2 to 3 more tablespoons of whipping cream until the frosting is smooth and fluffy and at the pipping consistency your want. Add in 3/4 cup crushed oreo and stir until fully combined with frosting.


12 comments:

  1. OH MY... these look dangerously delicious!!! I could eat so many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol me too! thats why I must take these to work today, to deadly for my waist to have around the kitchen. But hey thats what weekends are for ;)

      Delete
  2. These look like they might be right up my alley. It's so funny, though, because I've never been a big oreo fan until I became a diabetic. I had to cut out all extra carbs from everything and I discovered the sugar free oreos. Now I have to have them :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally know how you feel. I guess that figure of speech is true, you always want what you can't have. I'm sensitive to dairy and all I want is cheese and ice cream :)

      Delete
  3. Very nice! I totally love how you incorporated 2 different recipes to make your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dawnye, thanks so much for the sweet comment :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, nice! Those look wickedly delightful! Must. Try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Becca, they are pretty wicked thank goodness I work with 20 + guys. I had to pawn these off before I could eat to many.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love anything cookies & cream!! These look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too, its one of my favorite ice creams as well =)

      Delete
  7. nice idea.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. VERY cool!! Have been hankering for an Oreo lately ... perhaps sprinkled generously over vanilla ice cream.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...