Sunday, March 17, 2013

Matcha Cupcakes with Matcha Cream Cheese Frosting


March 17 doesn't only mean St. Patricks day around my house, my husband shares his birthday with this beloved holiday. One Interesting fact about St Patties Day: In modern-day Ireland, St. Patrick's Day has traditionally been a religious occasion. In fact, up until the 1970s, Irish laws mandated that pubs be closed on March 17. Beginning in 1995, however, the Irish government changed this law, and last year, close to one million people took part in Ireland 's St. Patrick's Festival in Dublin. Pretty interesting considering everyone in the states associates the day with drinking. 
There are more facts here if you want to check them out. 

Since it was the hubby's birthday, it was his choice of cupcake flavors and living in Japan he has become very fond of Green Tea. So one day while at the local Japanese grocery store we came  a crossed a package of powdered green tea a.k.a matcha, and he requested a green tea cupcake. 



 This cupcake is meant for green tea lovers. Its green, moist, earthy and sweet.  When looking for recipes I noticed a lot of people complained that they couldn't taste the greed tea. A good quality matcha powder will help your cupcake take on the green tea flavor, I found a great recipe that I tweaked a little by adding some more matcha powder and came up with a awesome matcha cream cheese frosting. This is a excellent cupcake for st. patty's day because of course its green ;) but you can make this cupcake anytime where a cup of tea would be better eaten as a cupcake.

Matcha Cupcakes with Matcha Cream Cheese Frosting
Adapted from Showfood Chef 

Yields: 15-24 cupcakes (depends on the size paper liners you use)

Ingredients

2 cups flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 oz (1 stick plus 2 table spoons) unsalted butter, at room temp
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
2/3 cups milk
2-3 tablespoons matcha powder

Directions

- preheat oven to 350 degrees and line your cupcake pans with paper liners
- In a small bowl combined your dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, and matcha powder, whisk together and set aside.
- In a electric mixer beat your butter and sugar together until light and fluffy about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs in one at a time until each one is fully incorporated.
- Add in the dry ingredients and milk in 3 batches alternating between the two until all is incorporated.
- Fill your cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake at 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

isn't green pretty

Matcha Cream Cheese Frosting
Oshii Treats Original

Ingredients

6 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temp
8 oz cream cheese
4 cups powdered sugar
1 table spoon milk
2-3 tablespoons matcha powder (depends on how much green tea taste you like)

Directions

- In a electric mixer combine your butter and cream cheese and beat on high until smooth about 3 minutes.
- Add in your powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until full incorporated, adding in your milk to help thin it out.
- Mix in your matcha powder and whip on high until mixed throughly and fluffy about another 3-4 minutes.

28 comments:

  1. I love Matcha in bakes & these cupcakes looks divine! Love to have some now! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kit! I love matcha too, the cream cheese was my favorite part :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! Right when I saw the recipe, I ran to the store to get some cream cheese so I could make these.

    Here's my post: http://hapatite.com/matcha-green-tea-cupcakes-st-patricks-day/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I hope you loved them as much as we did. Love your post by the way!

      Delete
  4. This is such a great way to incorporate natural green into baked goods! I'm sure they're quite tasty too =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your so right, you dont have to use a lot of matcha to get a nice green to the baked goods, though it will be lighter in color :)

      Delete
  5. Wow, you have outdone yourself! These are gorgeous...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks irresistible.
    Love the green colour, too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard to stop liking the frosting, green is one of my favorite colors too!

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday to your guy :) these cupcakes are so cute! I love green tea too, I wish I could just take a bite out of my screen haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, thanks he had a pretty nice birthday weekend.

      Delete
  8. I love matcha & your cupcakes are so cute ... Happy B-Day :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CJ, matcha is pretty tasty, can't wait to try it in some other baked goods.

      Delete
  9. My cupcakes didn't turn out in the pretty green color as is pictured but it tasted amazing! My matcha is more on the darker green side and is fairly strong. So a little goes a long way.thanks for sharing this delicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry to hear the green didnt turn out the same, my matcha was a more lighter color. But im happy to hear they tasted great :) thanks so much for coming back and sharing!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. yes you can use all purpose flour :) sorry i didn't specify in the recipe

      Delete
  11. Is there a matcha powder you recommend and where can I find it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, well i kinda of have a advantage living in Japan, i found mine at a local japanese store. But Im sure you can find a good quality matcha powder at a natural food store.

      Delete
  12. Hi,
    Just wondering if I could use low fat milk? Also, what type of sugar is used is it just white sugar?

    I tried making these today and they are great, but my crust turned out really hard and crispy, just wondering if it was meant to be that way? (Opted to not make any frosting at this stage).

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I don't think you will have any issues using a low fat milk, and the sugar that I used was granulated white sugar. Glad the cupcakes turned out well expect for the tops of them, mine had a bit of a crust like texture as well but I think its due to the matcha powder.

      Delete
  13. OMG! I just made these and they are DELICIOUS! The best green tea cupcake I have EVER had!! I bought some really good "culinary quality" Matcha from my local Japanese supermarket--not cheap at $6.99 for 25 grams/ 1 oz.

    The will be part of my repetoire from now on. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey There N - Hope you don’t mind – I love this gorgeous cupcake so I added it to my food photo site (Food Foto Gallery) for all to see. Attribution was given to you and I hope that you gain a few new visitors, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! Is it okay to add vanilla extract to the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, ya it shouldn't be a problem, tho I'm not sure if the vanilla extract would take away from the matcha flavor. I hope it works out!

      Delete
  16. I've made these so many times, and loved them! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! I was just wondering, if I were to make your recipe into a cake, do I use the same measurement or should I double it? Thank you!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...