Sunday, April 28, 2013

Easy Homemade Soft Pretzels


Who would have thought you can make quick soft pretzels at home, no venturing to a crowded and loud mall required. You're probably thinking right now, yeah right making pretzels at home is sooo time consuming, what with making the dough, kneading the dough, the rising of the dough, the boiling of the dough, etc.  That's what I thought too! But due to some good fortune I stumbled across a blog that promised pretzel making would be simple and done in 30 minutes...."pshh, I gotta try this for myself", I thought. nom nom nom...excuse me, sorry im in the middle of finishing my 3rd preztel, and trying to type at the same time. 























Oh man, Sally's baking addiction wasn't kidding! These were some awesome and quick pretzels.  They were not only super fast to make, but there is no dough rising, no boiling, and barely any kneading involved. They were uber soft and I could barely contain myself when these bad boys came out of the oven. I wanted to stuff my face before I could even take photos, but then I snapped to it soon enough to realize if I ate all the pretzels immediately, then there would be none left to take pictures of... phew, close call. Once I took the pictures I then proceeded to stuff my face :)


 I hope you try these preztels for yourself, I was always a little intimidated with pretzel making but this recipe replaced all my fears and I cannot wait to try all sorts of different variations of pretzel flavors, like cinnamon and sugar, jalapeno, chocolate....the list goes on and on. 




30 Minute Homemade Soft Pretzels
Adapted from Sally's baking Addiction

Yields: 8-10 Pretzels

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups luke warm water
1 packet of highly active yeast (I used Fleischmann's)
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
4 cups all purpose flour
1 large egg
course sea salt

Directions

-  Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
-  In a large bowl, pour in the warm water and yeast, stir with a spoon until the yeast is dissolved, about 1 minute. Add in the salt and sugar and stir until incorporated.
-  Slowly add in the flour about 1 cup at a time, mix with a wooden spoon until it gets sticky, continue to add in all your flour and at this point is when I started to use my hands to finish mixing the dough. The dough should no longer be sticky.
-  Knead the dough for about 5 minutes on a lightly floured surface, once kneaded, shape into a ball, with a knife or your hands separate the dough into about 1/3 cup sections, or use smaller or bigger sections depending on how large you want your pretzels.

Divide your dough into sections
-  Roll the dough into a long rope about 20 inches long and form the pretzel shape and place on your parchment paper.

-  In a shallow bowl beat your egg and dip the pretzel (both sides) into the egg wash and place back onto your parchment paper and sprinkle with sea salt.

Dipped in egg wash
-  Bake for 10 minutes at 425 degrees, and turn the oven to broil for the last 3-4 minutes until the tops of the pretzel are golden brown, be careful to keep an eye on the pretzels once you switch it to broil because it might take only a couple of minutes for your pretzels to brown depending on your oven.

This was left in 4 minutes once switched to broil

This was left in for 3 minutes once switched to broil


I link up to these awesome parties! including the newest addition Our Growing Edge over at Bunny Eats Design.  

22 comments:

  1. They took a long time last time I made them because I let them rise, boil them and then cook them and my recipe only made 8. I'm making this recipe next superbowl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats why I always hesitate to try making pretzels before, they seemed like a lot of work. It was awesome to make this recipe because it eliminated a lot of steps and still turned out amazing. I hope you like them :)

      Delete
  2. Hi, thank u for the invite can't to check out the website. I would love to share my photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who doesn't love a good soft pretzel?? Those look fantastic! Great job, definitely going to have to give these a try :)

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made these and they're so good! It really does work, guys! I have no idea why people suffer through the hours of waiting and all of the yeast-nervousness. Definitely going to do these again. And again. And again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello! and thank you for this lovely entry into this month's our growing edge. I've got it up in my round-up here.

    the browning on your pretzels look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made these today and they turned out great! Instead of dipping in the egg wash I brushed the egg wash on while holding the pretzel in my hand. These are TOO good as I've already had 3...but I figured I had to taste test each batch right? =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy they turned out well for you :) they are hard to stop eating after just one lol.

      Delete
  7. Could this dough be frozen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ive never tried to freeze the dough before, but I'm sure if you let the dough come back to room temp before rolling out and baking. Please let me know if they worked out after freezing.

      Delete
    2. (This is a different person from the original poster. I know it's a year later, but I thought I'd post in case people were curious.)
      I haven't tried freezing the dough, but I've frozen the pretzels before. Put them in the freezer within 32 hours of making them. Forty seconds in the microwave, and I think they still take great. Just make sure to store them in something air-tight and freezer-safe.

      Delete
  8. These are so good! My kids and I are eating them as I type... They adore soft pretzels, but being boys, aren't the most patient for baked goods. This was a really easy way for us to do some baking together, without taking all day to wait for dough to rise. Will be a repeat for our house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thats how my husband is, he can barley contain himself when i make these pretzels. We actually just made a batch this weekend and almost finished them all. So glad your family loved them :)

      Delete
  9. These look great! Could you tell me how many pretzels this batch makes? We have 11 ten-year old boys here so I'm thinking I'll at least need to triple this recipe for our needs! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi this batch makes 8-10 pretzels all depends on how big you would like to make them. When you make the dough divide it evenly into how many pretzels you want and then roll each one out. Making 2 batches will for sure make enough for you and your boys. :)

      Delete
  10. Wonderful! So very glad I found you, loves vegetarian, sweets, chocolate, and embraces Oishii. My kind of girl :-) My husband is in the air force, my dad was army and my mother is from Okinawa. Your site will be on my favorites list

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, glad I stumbled upon this recipe and a great food sharing site! Can't wait to try this recipe and check out the food site!

    Meg
    Happy Kids, Inc

    ReplyDelete
  12. made these this afternoon, they're all gone and I'm set to make more tomorrow. I made 3 different types of homemade mustard today for dipping, oh so good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just made them. Very easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So happy I stumbled upon your site, through Pinterest!! These pretzels not only look delicious but super easy as well!!! I am going to give these a try today!! Can't wait to check out your blog for more treats!!!
    Sarah from RI

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...