Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Crock Pot Vegetarian Taco Soup

There is nothing better than coming home from a 12-13 hour shift to a house smelling like chili and knowing that all you have to do is remove your uniform, throw on some sweats and your dinner is already cooked and ready to be dished up. Am I right?  I love my crock pot especially when we have week long exercises. Because seriously after working 12 hours, wearing chem. gear and a 20lbs flak vest all day, I barely have the energy or desire to cook anything. Most of the time I would throw a frozen pizza in the oven, but frozen pizza for a week every night is not always the healthy choice.

Luckily I'm not working a 12 hour shift this week, but that doesn't mean I still don't like to come home to my house smelling like chili and knowing I don't have to cook for a night :)



< Another reason behind the Soup, Seriously its March!



Crock Pot Vegetarian Taco Soup
Slightly Adapted from Foodie with Family
Yields: 6-8 servings 
Cook Time: 6-10 Hours (Depends on when I get off work)

Ingredients

1 Package frozen Morningstar beef crumbles
1 large onion (Diced to medium sized pieces) 
1 (28oz) can of diced tomatoes
1 can of Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can of Pinto Beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can of chili beans in mild sauce
2 Cups frozen corn
3 Poblano green peppers (deseed and slice)
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 packet of taco seasoning
1/2 packet ranch dressing mix
2 Cups vegetable broth

Directions

Toss everything into a crock pot, stir together and set on low for 6-8 hours. 



 Optional Garnish 

  • Blue tortilla chips
  • Shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • Sour Cream
  • Chopped Cilantro




27 comments:

  1. This looks awesome - I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love anything you can make in a Crock Pot! I will have to try this regardless of the weather here in Kansas City. It's been almost like summer. BTW, thank you for the Versatile Blogger nomination:) You are too kind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. crock pot has to be one of my favorite kitchen gadgets! and your very welcome for the award, BTW please send some of your weather to Japan we are in dire need of sunlight :)

      Delete
  3. That's a great meal and it looks so colorful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank u, it also makes excellent left overs the next day. I'm eating a bowl right now as I type this.

      Delete
  4. Wow that's a lot of snow! But taco soup sounds like the perfect meal for the cold weather!

    PS: Thank you for the award - it really means alot :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There you go again, making me HUNGRY!!! And I'm so gonna try this b/c hubby eats his full of meat and me, well, I have to scoop it out!!! BUT now, I can make two pots (I have 5 slow cookers, lol) one for him and one for me and the "Nee" (that's what we call Mandi (5)) ... Thank you for posting this, I really am going to make it!!! Have a great night and PS - awesome photo!!! =))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow 5 crock pots!! your are serious about slow cookers lol. thats great I hope you all enjoy the chili, its one of my favorites to make and have lots of leftovers afterwards.

      Delete
  6. This looks wonderful and so cool to use the crock pot. Have you tried the sausage crumbles made by the same company. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks so much , and I had no idea they have sausage crumbles? sadly the commissary on base only supplies a few different products from morning star, and I havent seen them in any Japanese grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Girly =)) Guess what? I nominated you for an AWARD ;-) The Happy Blogger Award ... No specific rules, just stop by, grab your badge and pay it forward !!! {hugs}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS ... it's on the lemon bars recipe post ;-)

      Delete
    2. Your too awesome Tess :) can't wait to post my dessert with the badge. Thank you. sending you some hugs!

      Delete
  9. What a great comforting meal! I'm tempted make this crock pot vegetarian taco soup! Looks very appetizing! YUM! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Kit, i love using my crock pot, its awesome to make a nice meal and not have to put much effort into it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great getting connected on foodbuzz. Thanks for visiting my blog :) It's soup weather here as well today. Happy blogging ! Good luck !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Namitha thanks for stopping by and great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Connecting through foodbuzz. I am always looking for vegetarian recipes to make for my family and this one is perfect! I followed and buzzed you (I will be visiting you blog often). I'm a new food blogger and would love for you to check out my site www.thecookieadaychallenge.com.
    I look forward to sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi nice to meet and thank you for stopping by, I did check out your blog, wow can't believe your doing a cookie everyday, amazing. im following you as well on facebook and pin interest :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for connecting with me on foodbuzz. I love your site and I love this recipe. I have added you to my reading list and will be back :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks for stopping by, look forward to seeing you again :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks really good! Can't wait to give it ago, I love this kind of food!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. me too, crock pot soups are my fav!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love chili, I miss Japan sometime missing traditional miso soup and onigri and my own bento box. it is nice to meet you through Foodbuzz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where did you live? I love miso and the bento boxes are pretty cute =) nice to meet you too.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...