Saturday, March 17, 2012

Jakes Whiskey Cake

Happy 25th Birthday to my wonderful hubby.  Can I just say that my husband has the best day for a birthday, whats cooler than having your birthday on St. Patrick's day.  For about a week I kept asking him what kinda of cake he wanted me to make, and he would keep flip flopping from two types.  Mint chocolate chip cake or a whiskey cake.  Now my mom recently made my nana a whiskey cake for her 70th last month and she basically ate the whole thing by herself and even got a little buzz from it.  After telling my husband the story he finally made up his mind on the Whiskey cake.  Though I didn't think it would be so hard at first to choose. He is a whiskey and scotch guy so I initially thought it was a no brainer.
So a little about this cake recipe, after my mom emailed me her ingredients.  I started to second guess her cake.  The last ingredient for the cake is mini marshmallows..... Huh... ummm am I missing something? marshmallows in a whiskey cake, is that normal? Tell you the truth I kept thinking she was playin with me, or she just read the wrong recipe.  But the time difference in Japan and Oregon is 16 hours.  So I couldn't call her before making it, and I googled searched recipes for whiskey cake (yes there I go again google searching, its like spell check to me) and not one recipe mentioned marshmallows, not one! well I had faith in my mama and I just went with it and it turned out that you can't really tell if the marshmallows ever existed in the cake, you can't really taste them, what you can taste is the whiskey, this cake is super moist and dense and extremely strong. Now I see why my nana likes it so much :)

Disclaimer* dont eat and drive after having a slice of this cake its definitely like taking a shot of whiskey ;) grown ups only. 


Chocolate Whiskey Cake
 Recipe from my mom


Bake Time 35-45 Min. (Depending on your oven)
Ingredients 
1 cup soft margarine or butter
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
3 Tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon. vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 cup whiskey 
1 1/2 cup mini marshmallows

Directions

Combine first 8 ingredients and blend for 1 minute. Add whiskey and marshmallows. Mix together. Pour into 9x13 pan, and bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes. Around the 35 min. mark Insert a long toothpick or knife to see if it comes out clean if so your done, if not bake for another 5 min. and check again.  While slightly warm, frost with whiskey frosting.

(I did not happen to have a 9x13 pan so I used a spring foam pan and it worked out really well, plus I didn't have to worry about transferring the cake onto a plate.)


Whiskey Frosting
1/2 cup soft butter or margarine
4 cup powdered sugar
3 Tablespoons cocoa
1/3 cup whiskey
1 cup chopped pecans (I originally omitted the pecans, just because I didn't have any at the time)

Mix until smooth. Spread over warm cake.


you see that whole in the cake, its where a marshmallow used to be. Thats the only way I could tell there was marshmallows in the cake.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Neshanne =) This is my kinda cake! lol =)) Happy birthday to your hubby and have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much. :) have a great weekend yourself

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never would have guess that marshmallows could go in a cake. I am so intrigued now and want to make this one. Thank You for sharing your family's recipe.
    Happy Birthday to the hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, and yeah I agree also the marshmallows seemed odd at first but the cake still tasted great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks, it had a good kick to it as well ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...