Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Vegetarian Sloppy Joes


ooohhh owie owie owie..just blow on it, ow! bad idea..what are you thinking Neshanne blowing on a cut...okay run it under cold water.. oooh that stings, Jake could you please get me a bandaid.

This is a typical scenario in my house when it comes to me and knifes in the kitchen. I seem to almost always without fail cut my self, sometimes its a nick, no biggy or like tonight a deep cut.

 I CURSE you 60 minutes! (pumping my first in the air) if it wasn't for your damn dramatic music at climatic times in the program I wouldn't have glanced at the t.v while sliceing through the kaiser roll and the meaty part of my thumb at the same time. I guess thats what I get for watching t.v while trying to cook.

You know whats worse about cuts on your hands, you know the minute you start doing the dishes or take a shower its going to sting!  Oh well it didn't stop me from enjoying our yummy and very filling vegetarian sloppy joes, which are packed with lots of protein and some added heat with jalapenos.

By the way I love making sloppy joes because it means we will have leftovers for lunch the next day. Can't wait!

Vegetarian Sloppy Joes
By Oishii Treats

Yields about 6 Servings

Ingredients 
Whole Wheat Kaiser Rolls (or your favorite bread, hoagie etc.)
1 Tablespoon Olive oil
1 Medium yellow Onion, diced
1 Red or Orange Bell pepper, diced
1 Cup Button Mushrooms, diced
1 14.5 oz can of Pinto Beans, drained
1-2 Tablespoons Jarred sliced Jalapenos, chopped into small pieces (I used the Louisiana brand)
1 8oz can of Rotel zesty tomato and green chile sauce
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/3 teaspoon Onion Powder
1/3 teaspoon dried Basil
1/3 teaspoon dried Oregano
2 Cups frozen Morning Star beef crumbles

Directions
Heat the oil in a large pan on medium high heat. Add the diced onions, diced pepper, diced mushrooms and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes or until the onions are translucent and the peppers are soft.
Add the pinto beans and using a potato masher or fork, mash the beans lightly. its okay to leave some of the beans whole. Add your rotel sauce and spices turn the heat down to about medium and simmer for 10 minutes to thicken.
Stir in your frozen beef crumbles and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Serve on toasted kaiser rolls.


Well I better go change my bandaid out now.


14 comments:

  1. oh no! no boo-boos =( hope it feels better! these sloppy joes look and sound amazing!!!! and what a gorgeous photo ;-) i'll be expecting one on the 20th, lol ... have a great day! {hugs}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tess, I know me and knifes what can I say lol. I try to bring one in a suitcase but u know how messy sloppy joes can get ;)

      Delete
  2. I've never had vegetarian sloppy joes before, but these sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! I have nominated you for a food stories award on my blog! Have a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Serena, both on the nice comment and the nomination! hope you have an awesome week!

      Delete
  4. This had my mouth watering! I know what you mean about the whole knife thing I'm too clumsy to be trusted with one really but there we are...I do anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I know right, my husband always watches me and makes noises if he thinks im getting to close to my fingers lol. I'm just a clumsy person sometimes. =)

      Delete
  5. I cut myself all the time and it drives my husband crazy! He doesn't understand how someone can cut themselves every time they cook, but I manage somehow. I hope he never tries to take my knives away! haha.
    The sloppy joes look awesome and I love that you made them vegetarian. A healthy, happy treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lmao, my husband too, I swear one day he'll hide my knifes from me.

      Delete
  6. Haha I like sloppy joes for the same reason, and this vegetarian version sounds so yummy :) Hope your finger is healing quickly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen, sloppy joes is such a great comfort food for me and I love that I can still make them without meat =)

      Delete
  7. These look great! I love the idea of adding mushrooms to the beef crumbles. I tried making something similar to this once but I used ground tempeh. I didn't love them. I'll have to give these a try. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie, i love mushrooms and they have a really good texture in this recipe, plus I needed to use them soon or they would have gone bad in the fridge lol. I never used tempeh before but I know the burger crumbles work out well. Hope you give it a second chance and like it =)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...