Sunday, May 20, 2012

Orange Infused Cupcake w/ a Orange Mascarpone Cream Filling and Dark Chocolate Buttercream

Hello cupcake where have you've been all my life! I missed out last week on making a weekend dessert due to the sickness.  But I made it all up this weekend with this amazing cupcake.  I wasn't expecting it to really wow me, the flavor combination sounding pleasing. But after taking my first bite  I knew I would be making this again.
Some of the cupcakes I've made before were a little on the sugary sweet side for me so this time I made sure to reduce the sugar in the cupcake recipe and substitute the butter with coconut oil and I was so happy I did. Now the cupcake part was pretty delish but the ingredient that puts this cupcake over the top is the Orange mascarpone cream filling, that with the dark chocolate buttercream was just heaven. I'm contemplating not sharing them with my co-workers there're just that good lol.

Orange Infused Cupcake w/ a Orange Mascarpone Cream Filling and Dark Chocolate Buttercream
Flavor combo by Oishii Treats


Orange Cupcake
adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publication 2012
Bake Time 16 Minutes

Ingredients
3/4 Cup Coconut Oil
3 Eggs
2 1/2 Cups Flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 Cups Sugar (original calls for 1 3/4 cups)
1 1/2 teaspoons Orange extract
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
1 1/4 Cups Almond Milk

Directions
-Preheat your oven for 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with your paper cups
-Combine your flour, salt and baking powder together in a medium bowl and set aside
-In a large bowl whisk together your coconut oil and sugar once combined add your eggs in one at a time until completely mixed.
-Add your orange extract and orange zest to the mixture and whisk
-Alternately add your flour mixture and almond milk to the batter, whisking after each addition.  just until combine (the less you mix the batter the more moist and fluffy the cupcakes will turn out)
-Fill your paper liners till 3/4 full and bake for 16 minutes, immediately remove from oven and place on a cooling rack.

Orange Mascarpone Cream Filling
Adapted from Giada de Laurentiis

Ingredients
1/4 Cup Mascarpone cheese (room temp)
2 Tablespoons fresh squeezed Orange juice (i used simply oj juice)
1/2 Cup whipping cream
3 Tablespoons Powdered sugar
1 teaspoon Orange zest

Directions 
-In a electric mixer beat together the mascarpone cheese and oj until smooth
-Add your whipping cream, powdered sugar and orange zest and mix until soft peaks form about 1-2 minutes. Keep in the fridge until your ready to use.
- Make a hole in the middle of your cupcakes. I used a pointed frosting tip to make a hole in the top of the cupcake and used a small 1/2 teaspoon to scoop out some of the cake from the middle.
- Fill a piping bag with your cream filling and pipe into the hole.

Dark Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Adapted from Martha Stewart 

Ingredients
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter (room temp)
4 Cups Powdered Sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 oz Cream Cheese (room temp)
3.5 oz dark cocoa bar (melted)
1 Tablespoon Almond milk

Directions
-In a electric mixer beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth
- Add your vanilla extract and powdered sugar mix until combined.
- Add your melted (cooled) dark chocolate and mix, use a spatula to help scrap the sides of the bowl.
- If the frosting is very thick use 1 tablespoon almond milk to help thin out the frosting.
- Fill a pipping bag and pipe buttercream onto your cupcakes.








22 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS!!! these little beauties sound incredible =)) looks like you got your light, how do you like it??? {hugs}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tess! thank u and this light was actually good ole sunshine on the balcony lol

      Delete
  2. YUM! Love the combo of orange & chocolate! These cupcakes looks tempting & love the orange mascarpone filling! Beautifully presented! Have a lovely week, Neshanne! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kit, the filling was my favorite part I just wanted to eat the whip cream by itself.

      Delete
  3. Oh my! These look so delicious, Neshanne! I love the orange mascarpone filling - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look gorgeous...I love that hidden mascarpone cream filling! I might have to make these! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much for the lovely commet Laura, if you make them I hope you like them as much as I did =)

      Delete
  5. These cupcakes are very beautifully made. I have never try baking with orange with maascarpone before. This sounds like a great combination :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Zoe, the mascarpone was delish, I want to put mascarpone cream on everything now lol. Thanks so much for the nice comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are so beautiful looking. These could be sold in a bakery! Love your innovation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, these sound great! I wonder what might happen with a little splash of grand marnier - nom! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now were're talking Willow lol, yum grand marnier would be wonderful in this cupcake :)

      Delete
  9. That looks...AMAZING!!!! What a brilliant blend of flavours, I love the sound of these! Plus the pictures are so bright and colourful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG ... I can't stop staring at these photos ... they're so bright and crisp and gorgeous ... Excellent Job!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CJ I really appreciate it, I've been working really hard on my photography . Lighting and exposure can be such a brat.

      Delete
  11. Neshanne ... I could have sworn that I nominated you for my new award but I don't see my comment on your site. I am so sorry, if this is a duplicate but ... You have been nominated for my NEW Food Stories Award for Excellence in Storytelling. Check out my site for the details (foodstoriesblog dot com).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow! thank you CJ. I'm so excited and honored =) too cool going to check it out now.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...