Sunday, May 13, 2012

Nana's Potato Salad


Happy Mother's day to all you moms out there and to my nana, mama and lil sister =)
There's those recipes that your grandma makes thats a family staple.  The one dish that shows up at every holiday and BBQ.  Everyone has a favorite, for me its not a dessert or a baked goodie, it's my nana's potato salad.  It's absolutely hands down the best! I love the tangy dressing that tickles the back of your throat, making her potato salad always reminds me of spending time with her in the kitchen, learning from her, and being her personal taste tester.

Anytime I go home to visit she always has a giant bowl waiting for me.  I remember as a kid leaving her house after the holidays with tons of left overs and me and my dad would fight over the potato salad, I would sometimes catch him eating it at night for a late snack just so I couldn't get to it before him lol.

I've tried so many times to replicate my nana's potato salad she's given me the recipe (well the ingredients, she's a little hazy on the measurements) its one of those special recipes that she makes just by taste, a little of this and little of that, taking a small lick of the back of the spoon to test it until its just right.  I try my best, but hers will always be better. But thats how it always goes when your nana makes you something special.

This recipe is also my contribution to Very Good Recipes, May Recipe Challenge. The theme for the month of May is Family Recipes, a recipe that was handed down to you by another family member like a mother or grandmother etc. I will also be helping out as a judge for the May challenge along with 4 other bloggers.  If you would like to participate please click on the link and submit your family recipe.

Potato Salad
By Oishii Treats

Ingredients
About 20 Small new potatoes washed and peeled
1 Cup sliced Celery
1 Cup sliced Black olives
6 hard boiled eggs (only use the whites, sliced)
Dressing
1 Cup Miracle Whip (the secret ingredient ;)
a pinch of sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 Cup + 1 Tablespoon Evaporated milk
2 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar

Directions
Boil your potatoes and eggs in sperate pots for 15 minutes. Meanwhile make your dressing in a small bowl and set aside.  Once potatoes are done boiling, drain and rinse under cold water for a minute and set aside to cool enough to handle. Peel your eggs and cut in half discard the yolk and slicing the egg whites add to a large bowl with your sliced celery and black olives.  Cut up your potatoes to 1/2 inch bite size pieces and add to the large bowl.  Stir in the dressing with a spatula and mix well, chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours and enjoy the best ever potato salad.




17 comments:

  1. lol I always eat our potato salad as a late snack! This one looks great! Especially that it has olives and eggs. Yum! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i don't know why but potato salad taste even better when eaten as a late snack. =) thanks so much, happy mothers day to you!

      Delete
  2. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, yum-dizzle-for-shizzle!!! This looks soooooo good, Neshanne =))) And the photo is perfect!!! have a great day, hon!!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha you crack me up Tess, Happy Mothers DaY, Hugs!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful recipe and a beautiful story :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good! And I know what you mean - somehow things always taste better when someone special makes them for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your so right, can't wait to go back home to have the original potato salad.

      Delete
  5. It's so fun to have 'heirloom' recipes like this..Thanks so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love potato salad but this one looks really delicious especially with the olives! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love secret ingredients! Great story :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, secret ingredients make the dish even better =)

      Delete
  8. You have no idea how much I love potato salad in the summer! My mom makes a delicious potato salad I always like to eat when I visit. But I really need my own recipe, so I can't wait to try this one out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Potato salad is one of my favorites in the summer too! if u try it out I hope you enjoy it as much as me : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, thanks so much for linking this in and for following Carole's Chatter. I have followed you right back. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...