Sunday, May 27, 2012

Coconut Mascarpone Cream Parfaits w/ Angel Food Cake, Strawberries and Blueberries



Memorial Day is upon us and its a time to reflect, remember and honor those people who have given the ultimate sacrifice for our nations service. As an active duty Air Force member for us personally it's a time to recognize and remember our fallen brothers and sisters, our friends and neighbors that we have worked and fought side by side with everyday. I've had the privilege to know and befriend so many people through out my years in the service and sadly I have lost some great friends.  This weekend was nice to just take some time and thank and remember those individuals that have died while serving for our country.

Memorial day is also a wonderful opportunity to spend time with our family and friends, hanging out, having picnics and barbecues and just enjoying the moment. We worked extra hours this week so our supervision would grant us a 4 day weekend and we are not going to put it to waste.  Me and the hubby traveled 4 hours south of Misawa to Sendai to watch our first Japanese baseball game! and spent some much needed time together.

Speaking of picnics, my friend Tess from slow cooking kitchen and I wanted to do a little virtual picnic together. I am bringing this light, creamy and easy dessert, its a wonderful parfait to accommodate you to any afternoon picnic or barbecue.  Hopefully the next virtual get together we'll add some more friends, more the merrier :)


Coconut Mascarpone Cream Parfaits w/ Angel Food Cake, Strawberries and Blueberries
By Oishii Treats

Ingredients 
1 Box Angel Food Cake
1/2 Cup Blueberries (use more blueberries if your making more than 4 parfaits)
3/4 Strawberries (same as blueberries)

Coconut Mascarpone Cream
1/3 Cup mascarpone cheese
3 Tablespoons Coconut milk
3/4 Cup whipping cream
1 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
3 Tablespoons Powdered sugar
1/2 Cups sweetened coconut flakes

Directions
-Bake the angel food cake ahead of time according to package directions, once cooled cut the  cake into cubed 1/2 inch bite sized pieces.
- To make the cream, in a electric mixer combine the mascarpone cheese and coconut milk and mix until smooth.
-Add the whipping cream, coconut extract and powdered sugar and mix on medium high for 1-2 minutes until stiff peaks form, fold in your coconut flakes.
-Wash the strawberries and blueberries.  Slice the strawberries up
-Start to construct your parfaits, using a tall glass layer angel food cake, the cream, strawberries, cream, blueberries cream and repeat till you reach the top of the glass =)







25 comments:

  1. Delicious!!!!! Love the flavor combination, and it looks so pretty and of course tempting!:) Totally yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yummmmmmmmm =)) Gorgeous photo and this dessert sounds fabulous!!!! Can't wait to try it at the 'picnic' ... I'll be posting in a bit, pasta salad, mmmmmmmm ;-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay, pasta salad sounds great. I'll make sure not to fill up on dessert first ;)

      Delete
  3. Fabulous! Absolutely fabulous! I love the pairing of coconut and berries with mascarpone and angel food cake. Yum! Have a wonderful weekend, Neshanne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thanks Anna, I hope you had a great weekend.

      Delete
  4. Id prefer it without the coconut ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. no problem, you could always make the cream without the coconut. just use regular milk instead of coconut milk and vanilla extract and dont add the coconut flakes. have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Neshanne! Happy Memorial Day! And thank you to you and your husband for your service. This is definitely a dessert for me - I LOVE coconut! and mascarpone cheese, angel food cake and the berries. Great recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love coconut too!!! i would add it to every dessert if I could :) Thanks so much Stephanie for the sweet comment.

      Delete
  7. These look delicious :) Perfect sized serves. I love them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cass! I could have eaten both those cups, if my husband didn't one ;)

      Delete
  8. This looks lovely & light. Such a brilliant recipe. I love coconut desserts, there's hardly any about is there? Thanks for this, I'll be making this tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma, I hope u enjoy it! I could eat just a whole bowl of the coconut mascarpone lol

      Delete
  9. Great presentation! I love angel food cake with cream and berries, so these sound just divine. Great idea for the holiday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Willow, Thank you. I didn't realize I made it so patriotic until i started making pictures. go red, white and blue =)

      Delete
  10. Neshanne ... Great Job ... I audibly gasped when I saw those pictures. Thanks for all you do for our country!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so good I found you on RecipesUS.com love your blog.
    Check out mine if you get time

    http://thedailysmash101.blogspot.com

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...