Sunday, September 30, 2012

Oatmeal Whoopie Pies


I had A LOT of frosting left over from the birthday cupcakes post.  I couldn't let all that delicious cream cheese frosting go to waste.  So I thought to myself hmm besides cupcakes what should I use the frosting for.  Whoppie Pies!!! I've noticed they have become quite popular lately.  Funny thing though, only half of my friends knows what a whoppie pie is, the other half had no idea what I was talking about.  They thought I meant something "dirty" if you know what I mean ;)


Oatmeal Whoppie Pies with Cream Cheese Frosting
Adapted from Mother Thyme

Yields: 18 Whoppie Pies

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup butter (1 stick at room temp)
1 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs

Directions

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl combine the flour, oats, salt, cinnamon and baking soda and set aside
- In a medium bowl cream together the butter and brown sugar, add the eggs one at a time until combine.
- Add the butter mixture to the flour and mix until completely combined
- using a spoon make rounded tablespoon sized balls and place on the cookie sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes until sides of cookie start to brown, cool completely on a wire rack before applying cream cheese between two cookies.

Cream Cheese Frosting


Ingredients

1 8 ounce package of cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
5 1/2 Cups powdered sugar

Directions

Let the cream cheese and butter sit at room temp for at least 45 minutes. In a large mixing bowl beat the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until fluffy. Gradually add your powdered sugar until full combined. place in the fridge until ready to pipe or frost cupcakes.



14 comments:

  1. yum yum - cream cheese icing looks delicious, and looks great sandwiched between two whoopie pies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank u Jen, the cream cheese frosting is very addicting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday! Oatmeal cookies are the poster cookie for fall, I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol thanks I forgot to mention it was a coworkers b-day. I agree oatmeal cookies are a fall cookie for sure :)

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday (a bit late)!! What a great way to use the leftover frosting - these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing dirty about these ... Amazingly beautiful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to use up leftover frosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica, yeah I had a lot I needed to use up, and it was a good excuse to make cookies :)

      Delete
  7. Fantastic recipe and photographs Neshanne, just lovely ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's like you're reading my mind! This is exactly what I want to eat. Cream cheese icing sounds like it would be amazing in these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another reason to eat more cream cheese frosting! Yay! These look so adorable!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...