Saturday, April 7, 2012

Tie Dyed Meringues and a Award :)

Raise your hand if you were like me as a kid and ate only the marshmallows from your bowl of Lucky Charms-  I considered it a game I would either A. eat all the "yucky" toasted cereal first so what was left it my bowl were the glorious sugary marshmallows. or B. Fish around for the just the marshmallows and leave behind the toasted cereal and not eat any of it.
I dare say that these meringues remind me of Lucky Charms marshmallows. I was really surprised and impressed how well these meringues not only cooked in the oven but tasted so great and reminiscent of a favorite childhood cereal.  Plus I just had fun with the colors and wanted to go more with an Easter palate today.

Tie Dyed Meringues
Adapted from Women's World Magazine (April 2, 2012 issue)

Bake Time: 45 Minutues
Cool Time: 1 Hour

Ingredients
4 Egg Whites at room temp (Mine were straight from the fridge and still worked)
1/2 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1 Cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla
and food coloring 

Directions
Set oven to 225F Lined 2 cookie sheets with foil and spray with cooking spray and set aside
Beat 4 egg whites on medium speed until frothy.  Add your cream of tartar and beat till soft peaks form.  Add 1 cup of sugar, 1 Tbs. at a time, beat until stiff peaks form. add your vanilla and beat until combined.  
To do the tie dyed effect, transfer your mixture evenly into three separate bowls and add a couple drops of food coloring and mix well with a whisk (clean after mixing each bowl)
using a pastry bag or zip lock bag with a star piped fitting, Place about two spoonfuls of each different color into the bag. I would put the blue on the left side of the bag and the pink in the middle and do the purple more towards the right side. 
Pipe about 1 inch round mounds onto the foil lined cookie sheets
Bake for 45 minutes. Turn off oven and cool in oven for 1 hour. 
and Enjoy some "Lucky Charms" Marshmallows ;)


I also have to say Thank you to the lovely Kit from I-Lost in Austen. I woke up to the best news today. She had passed on the Liebster Award to me :)  I gotta say I was so excited and genuinely surprised. Thank you Kit for thinking of me and for makin my weekend awesome :)


What is the Liebster Blog Award
Liebster is German for "Dearest" The award is given to inspirational bloggers with less than 200 followers. Its a great way to showcase other bloggers who have just started and bring some attention to  all the other wonderful blogs out there. 
Only Rules
Pass it on to 5 other Bloggers :)
So I am delighted to pass on the Liebster Award to

1. Tess from Slow Cooking Kitchen
3. Kaitlin from The Garden Grazer
4. Annie from What's Annie Making
5. Aysha from A Life of Flavor



11 comments:

  1. You probably can't see it, but I'm raising my hand! Now that I'm (much) older, all I want is the yucky toasted cereal. The meringues are beautiful and Congratulations on your award!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie! Thank you. I can't remember the last time I had lucky charms. I think it was Iraq when the only choices we had for breakfast were available at the chow hall. But that time I ate all the cereal instead of being so choosy lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I still eat just the marshmallows from the box of lucky charms ... it's a running joke around here ;-) These little delights look perfect (what gorgeous photos, too)!!! I've never had any luck with meringues and wish I was there eating them with ya!!! Thank you, sincerely, for the award! You're always making my day, sweetie!!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Yeah it makes me want to go and buy some lucky charms now. I hope you had a wonderful weekend and buy the way I made your strawberry mousse for some friends last night and we all loved it :)

      Delete
  4. Totally did that with my Lucky Charms when I was a kid! This recipe sounds like a walk down memory lane :) And thanks so much for the award - so sweet of you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kaitlin, your so welcome for it, by the way I also made your black bean enchiladas last night as well and super good, I will diffidently keeping that recipe saved.

      Delete
  5. Oh my! These looks so fabulous & so pretty! The colors are absolutily stunning!! Lovely delights! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily A Perfect PantryApril 17, 2012 at 8:30 AM

    Wow, these look really fantastic, such a clever idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...