Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Roasted Chickpeas

Have you've ever had corn nuts? They're not the healthiest snack to eat by any means. But once in a great while on long car rides I like to buy them just for that satisfying crunch and saltiness. These roasted chickpeas remind me a lot of corn nuts, but extremely more healthy. You can add any spice you want and a little olive oil and you not only have a crunchy snack but its packed full of protein. I like to keep a stash around to take to work, especially since it seems I'm always rushing for time, and when its too late to make a snack all I have to do is grab a little baggie of chickpeas.



Roasted Chickpeas

Bake Time: 45-50 Minutes

Ingredients
1 (15oz) Can of Chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
3/4 Teaspoon Lime Juice
1/3 Teaspoon Paprika
1/4 Teaspoon Roasted Cumin
1/4 Teaspoon Ancho chili powder
1/3 Teaspoon Sea salt

Directions
Preheat Oven to 400 Degrees F
Drain and rinse your chickpeas and pat dry on a paper towel.
Toss everything into a bowl and mix until all the spices and ingredients are combined.
using a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, lay your chickpeas out in a signal layer.

Bake on the middle rack for about 45-50 minutes.  Make sure to toss about half way through.  When finished, if you test one out by eating it and its still a little soft in the middle, bake for another 3-5 minutes and test one again.


26 comments:

  1. Oh awesome. I've had a recipe for roasted chickpeas bookmarked forever and keep forgetting to try it. Now I'll remember and try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Patty, I hope you try it, its a fun little snack :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are going on vacation at the end of the week and I've been looking for healthy snacks to take, especially ones with a satisfying crunch! ;) These will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for following me on Pintrest! This looks really yummy - and great to quickly put together for guests to munch on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katja, thanks for stopping by :) that a great idea to make ahead of time for guest.

      Delete
  5. yum this looks really good! I've been wanting to try this for awhile and I should really just bite the bullet and try it. Sounds like a fabulous snack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol yeah when I first tried roasted chickpeas I didn't know what to expect but I've come to love them.

      Delete
  6. This sounds great. I may try it this week to keep from snacking on the JELLY BEANS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, oooh yeah the dreaded easter candy! I love the mini chocolate eggs. I bet you could even make these chickpeas sweet with some cinnamon and a little sugar.

      Delete
  7. Healthy cornnuts?? Oh I will for sure be making these. Those are the absolute best roadtrip snacks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I never thought I would find a healthy substitute for corn nuts.

      Delete
  8. These look so good! I've made pumpkin spice roasted chickpeas before, but never savory ones. Thanks for the great idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yum pumpkin spice sounds wonderful, i haven;t made sweet ones yet, But i think i will soon :)

      Delete
  9. wow this recipe reminded me my childhood, its a common street snack in India, however I always had an impression they were fried. This recipe is so healthy, its on my list now :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. very cool, sounds like my kinda of street food.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nom Nom!!! I made these last night and loved them. And you're right - they did remind me of corn nuts, which I adore ;-) Thanks for sharing and have a great day =))

    ReplyDelete
  12. oooh glad you liked them. I'm going to have to try a sweet version soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my favorite snacks.
    I like toasting mine with za'atar, olive oil & lemon salt.
    xo The Tomato Snob

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just made something similar and absolutely loved it!!! Perfect for the afternoon munchies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah it's better than reaching for some chips, atleast having these around I don't feel guilty

      Delete
  15. I've always wanted to make healthy snacks for my sons & this will be the recipe for it! And yet a good reason to make my boys eat peas too!! LOL Not only that , it's great to serve these roasted chickpeas as aperitifs when friends come over. BTW there's a surprise for you at my blog. Wanna know what is it? Come over & find out! hehehehe HUGS :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, maybe you could tell the kiddos that its corn nuts lol. and a surprise for me I'm going right now! super excited :)

      Delete
  16. I've been wanting to try roasting chick peas for awhile now, and your spicing sounds great. I'm wondering how long they keep for? How to best store them? Thanks!
    Jillian, zestandhoney.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jillian, I store them in a air tight container for about 5 days. They seem to keep there crunch as long as they've been put into a container. But after 5 days they start to get chewy.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...